2011-06-12

Long weekend

Huhu! Another week has passed and time is running - as usual. I have accomplished a lot already, although I sometimes feel, I could do better. However, Buz seems to be satisfied and I think that I have made a big jump forward in my PhD project. Buz and I have often times discussions about those tiny creatures I am working on and so he helps me a lot to learn about their morphology and, what it can tell us about the lives they live down in the deep ocean. That makes me happy and gives me some comfort. Without him, I have to say, I don't know when I would have reached this stage. I think I can foresee the results of this visit already: Two new species will be described completely with a ready-to-submit manuscript. And this will include some discussion on new insights in the development of macrostylid isopods. If I can manage, I will prepare a first phylogenetic analysis on this group as well.
But now it is weekend - a long one. We don't have 'Pfingstmontag' but Monday the 13th will be Queens Birthday - a national holiday. The weather is relatively bad - about what we expect Hamburg to be like in autumn. It rains most of the day, is cold (~15°C) and windy. Yesterday (Saturday) we went to the Sydney Aquarium. There we saw Platypus and Dugongs, sharks and many fantastic animals native to Australia. We liked it a lot. After having had a nice malay Laksa we went on to the Australian Museum. Its exhibitions are a nice combination of old dioramas and modern displays and multi media. And for the first time in a museum like this I even liked the anthropological and cultural history part of the exhibit. Right now there is a special exhibit about the birds of paradise, both about the animals and their importance for the native people in Papua New Guinea and Indonesia. Interesting - very interesting! On Queen's Birthday we'll probably check out a bird sanctuary near Olympic Park. We'll probably decide spontaneously, depending on the weather.
Well, folks, have a nice weekend and catch ya soon!
T.

Keine Kommentare: