2011-08-02

Another week, another place: Reykjavík, Island

Only a week ago, I was in Sydney. My location changed dramatically in many ways. Now, I am in the small capitol Reykjavík of the tiny country of Iceland, or 'Island' in the local language. Not only is this place as far away from Sydney as it could be on this planet and somewhat different in its dimensions. Iceland is a strong contrast. For one thing, it is 7pm now and still day light (while in Sydney right it would be pitch black) and the traffic uses the right side of the road but that is not, what I mean by contrast. Everything seems so different here. Is it the colors? The colors are more pale. Everything seems to be somewhere between green and grey. There are so many shades I never realized before. Is it the shadows? Because of the low solar altitude there seems to be a very intense contrast. Is it because of the wide visual range? Only volcanoes in the distance limit your sight. Human buildings and plants alike are usually little in grows as if they are awaiting the next storm. Golden plovers sitting on elevated rocks, watching.

Well, I am stunned by this place!

Keine Kommentare: